Wednesday, July 30, 2014

It begins

I've worked so many shifts at different jobs in the last couple weeks and I'm exhausted. I've been up all night. My right eye is twitching.

But it's worth it.

Today, July 30, 2014, I fly to South Africa with a team from Bel Air Presbyterian Church to finally begin something that has been in the works for the last four years to my knowledge, but so obviously longer in hindsight.

On this trip we will be working with our church partner in Johannesburg and helping with their prison ministry and HIV/AIDS patients, which are worthy causes, but the reason I felt a pull toward this trip is that we will also be working with orphans.

My heart has broken for orphans ever since I was a little girl and "Annie" was my favorite movie.  I wanted Miss Hannigan's job, but instead of being mean and terrifying, I would love those little girls with everything I have.  Everyone deserves to be loved.

When I went back to school four years ago to pursue a degree in creative writing, it occurred to me that I could pair my love of writing with my heart for orphans, and it has been so amazing to watch God piece together this purpose He so clearly placed on my heart.

My last two years at school were spent being trained in journalism and photojournalism, which I never would have chosen for myself because I have always hated the news (my sincere apologies to my news-loving former adviser Stefanie Frith, who might have a heart attack if she heard me say that.).  Journalism, it turns out, gave me the exact training that I needed to go out and write people's stories.  And that is what I intend to do, to help spread awareness of all the children around the world in need of homes and families.

This is the desire of my heart: to show them love.

No comments:

Post a Comment